A non-woven cap is an important attribute of medical clothing. They are used by both medics and patients. In general, headwear is a necessary element of the uniform for many professions. Now we are not talking about hats, but about lightweight, modern products of nonwoven material.
In this article you will learn what kind of medical caps from non-woven polypropylene are worn, how they are selected and what they are needed for! After all, most people don\'t even think about the versatility of these PPE.
Non-woven disposable caps are used in the food industry, canteens, restaurant kitchens, bars, laboratories, etc. Wherever there are special requirements for cleanliness and hygiene the use of hats is mandatory (according to sanitary regulations!). Their wearing is specified in job descriptions.
A medical non-woven cap performs two important functions:
- Caps made of non-woven material protect the hair from contact with pathogens (patients sneeze, cough, breathe – there is a high concentration of viruses in the air, and PPE is a protective barrier).
- If you brought any pathogens from the street on your hair, the hat will prevent them from spreading indoors.
Only at first glance, it seems that disposable medical caps are of little importance. In fact, each attribute of the medical uniform is designed and engineered to ensure maximum safety for the medical staff.
Before polymers were invented, healthcare workers wore scarves (kerchiefs), bonnets, and hats made from natural fabrics. They were soaked in chlorine, ironed, boiled…in general, they required a lot of care. Disposable medical caps were much more convenient and practical.
Non-woven protective cap – properties
Today, there are several types of headgear that represent PPE. We are not talking about surgical PPE, but general-purpose PPE. They differ in cut, composition of manufacture, etc. According to the shape of the cut, there are such types of protective clothing:
- bouffant caps – hair nets (‘beret’ type) — resemble pouches that are gathered around the head;
- surgical caps – fastened with special ties;
- medical bouffant caps (‘Charlotte’ type) — are the most common.
Bouffant caps – hair nets of ‘Beret’ type are not suitable for long haircuts, and classic models seem like a relic of the past. The ‘Charlotte’ type of medical bouffant caps is optimal in terms of price/quality/comfort for many reasons. They are suitable for men and women. ‘Charlotte’ type of medical bouffant cap hides long curls, does not fly off, and the elastic does not squeeze the scalp.
The medical disposable, non-woven cap is made of corrugated Spunbond and looks like an accordion when assembled. They are used by cosmetologists, doctors, nurses, and during some procedures they are put on the patient as well.
Caps for medical workers must necessarily cover the entire hairdo from the back of the head to the forehead. Despite the fact that they are designed to be worn for 2-5 hours, they must have the following performance characteristics:
- hypoallergenic – it is categorically unacceptable that disposable caps made of non-woven material cause a reaction in the body;
- moisture- resistant – to keep out sweat, cough sputum, and other human fluids;
- light weight – should be weightless so as not to cause discomfort during operation;
- stay on the head – which means that the hat should not fly from the hair when you run or walk, with sudden movements, etc.
Disposable caps price – often people wonder why some caps cost much more expensive than their counterparts. There are membrane polymer ones that can be sterilized and re-worn. The price of such models can be several times higher than the cost of non-woven single-use.
The main features when selecting products
Attention to detail is not being picky, it\'s being exacting in meeting quality standards. It does not matter what you buy: an expensive car or medical caps made of non-woven material. When buying, always look at such characteristics as:
- uniformity – no gaps or seals;
- condition of the elastic band – it should be soft and elastic;
- size (head circumference) – especially important for owners of long and puffy hair;
- style, color – at personal discretion.
Remember, your attention is a guarantee of your safety. On the market today there are many brands of personal protective equipment from different countries (Ukraine, Poland, China, etc.).
Disposable caps (materials)
PPE is divided into two groups according to the material from which it is made: disposable cap from non-woven material and woven cotton. The first category includes caps/chaps made of fabric, such as classic medical caps and bonnets. The second category includes polymer models. The most popular types of nonwoven caps for medical professionals include:
- Spunbond (one-, two-, and three-layer);
The non-woven Spunbond doctor\'s cap is intended for one-time use. It has the lowest cost and shortest lifespan (must be changed every 2-3 hours). They have no seams, the rubber band is welded around the edge.
Rules for choosing a disposable cap
Ukrainian manufacturer Veneto produces a remarkable line of suits and accessories called \”Venetomed\”. Their products are certified and meet the requirements of European norms.
When choosing disposable medical caps, give preference to certified brands. Personal protective equipment should be made by special technology, then tested for resistance to mechanical damage. If the caps meet the standards – the manufacturer puts them on sale. If there are deviations in the indicators – such elements of the uniform are not allowed for sale.
PPE must not show any visible damage. When folded, it resembles a compressed accordion. If the appearance differs from that described, it means it has already been tried on, ask to replace the product with a new one. On the website of Venetomed you can buy PPE and buy non-woven caps wholesale and retail. All models have a universal size, suitable for men and women.